- Organized northeast sustainable agriculture “delegations” to the winter Policy Conference in Hershey, PA and the NASDA conference in Saratoga Springs, NY
- Held monthly NEASDA organizing meetings with a focus on equity, transparency, and sharing solutions between Northeast states.
- Continued some internal group work in small groups of defining the group’s purpose and values.
- Presented about our NEASDA work and why the organization matters for Pasa’s online winter conference in February 2022 with SAFSF and Lehigh Valley Food Policy Council.
Online Farm Bill listening session as part of the 2021 NESAWG conference with 100+ participants and 6 partner organizations
- Compiled Final Summary for partner organizations to use in their Farm Bill advocacy
- Hosted in-person Farm Bill listening session at Pasa Sustainable Agriculture Conference with 40 attendees (a full house due to covid restrictions!)
- Tracked “marker bills” on our website, in newsletters, and in stand-alone action alerts to inform our network and instigate farm bill advocacy
- Presented a webinar on Farm Bill basics with National Sustainable Agriculture Working Group and Rhode Island Food Policy Council for 60+ participants
- Coached a group of Rhode Island Food Policy Council staff and members on integrating Farm Bill advocacy into their policy work
Developed and rolled out a Northeast Farm Bill Organizing survey to assess the landscape of Northeast Farm Bill advocacy, synergize policy platforms and values, and coordinate the region’s asks and tactics
- 29 organizational responses
- Results compiled here
Other Policy Organizing:
- Worked directly with over 43 local, regional, and national organizations as a supporter, collaborator, or educator.
- Organizational sign-ons included opposing Covid funding recission from the USDA, supporting more funding for SARE, Black Workers Bill of Rights, supporting student debt cancelation, changes to USDA Meat and Poultry Processing Expansion Program (MPPEP) matching requirements, and the NYS Good Food Purchasing Bill.
- Published 15 policy communications to our network, including food policy updates in monthly newsletters and standalone action alerts around issues including climate and ag advocacy, BIPOC debt relief, federal comment and funding opportunities, and Farm Bill marker bill advocacy opportunities.
- Connected organizations in 5 NESAWG states working on applications for the AMS Local Food Purchase Assistance Cooperative Agreement Program
- Convened and attended congressional meetings to share issues of NESAWG network importance with key Northeast Members of Congress: Representative Hayes, Representative Thompson, and Senator Murphy, with partner organizations including Land for Good, Hazon, National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition, National Young Farmers Coalition, Izaak Walton League of America, and Pasa Sustainable Agriculture.
- Congressional touches to Reps. Boyle, Delgado, Meng, Pingree, and Sens. Casey, Collins, Gilibrand, and Sanders on issues including climate resilience, equitable covid aid, debt relief, and more.
- Administrative advocacy including regional listening session on local foods with USDA undersecretary; submitting federal comments on racial equity;
- Chaired the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion committee on NSAC’s Organizational Council (advisory board) and co-organized and facilitated white caucus sessions for NSAC members.
- Participated in coalitional work with National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition, Good Food for All Coalition, and Rural Coalition to determine policy priorities on a national level (w/ 3 other national orgs…)